We provide a range of resources on accounting and business information, absolutely free!
We've organised our resources into four sections: Information for businesses (notes and presentations we have put together on a variety of subjects), Xero-related resources, Software and services (free software and services we've found useful for home and small businesses) and Links (links relating to tax, accounting and business-related sites).
Notes and presentations we have put together on a variety of subjects.
- Key Numbers for your Business What the numbers really mean for your business (October 2015).
- Personal Finance Managing your personal finances (October 2015).
- Xero Update An update on new features in Xero (October 2015).
- Technology in Your Business Presentation to clients on technology (June 2013).
- Property Investment Update Presentation to Capital Property Investors (June 2013).
- Setting up a Company Notes on how to set up a company.
- Structures FAQ Notes on how to choose the best structure (sole trader, company, LTC, trust etc;) for your business activities.
- Running Your Business Your guide to tax and accounting for a business.
- Property Investment Notes on structures and depreciation.
- NZ B and B Conference Presentation to the New Zealand Bed and Breakfast Conference (June 2010).
- Budget Update Presentation to the Wellington Property Investors (May 2010).
- Accounting Matters Presentation to the Consulting Surveyors of NZ (March 2009).
- Structures for Property Investment Presentation to Wellington Property Investors (May 2008).
- Tips for Freelance Businesses Tips for the self employed from the Freelance conference (May 2008).
- Cashbook for GST registered organisations Excel cashbook for a GST registered organisation or sole trader.
- Cashbook for investment trusts Excel cashbook for an investment trust (non GST).
- Cashbook for rental properties Excel cashbook for rental properties (non GST).
- Cheque deposit form Excel spreadsheet for recording cheques deposits and printing off for the bank.
- FIF Calculator v3.1 Excel spreadsheet to record share transactions and perform FIF FDR and CV calculations.
Links to Xero resources.
- FAQs Our Xero frequently asked questions.
- Blogs Our Xero related blogs.
- Xero Online accounting system for small businesses - test drive it using the free demo company.
- Xero Quickstart A guide to getting up and running with Xero in minutes.
- Xero Cashbook Quickstart A guide to getting up and running with the Cashbook edition of Xero in minutes.
- Xero Coding Guideline Not sure what to code a receipt or payment to? - check out our Xero coding guide.
- Xero TV How-To Simple video tutorials that will teach you how to master various tools in Xero accounting software.
- Xero Communities A collection of almost every piece of information about Xero. You can also make feature requests here.
- Xero Add-Ons A guide to all the applications that you can use to enhance your Xero experience.
Free software and free services that we have found useful for home and small businesses.
- PDF Fill Free PDF Writer to create PDF files from any Windows program. Also has free PDF Tools to combine, split and manipulate PDF documents.
- Open Office Full office suite compatible with Microsoft Office 2010.
- Virus Total Online service that checks an uploaded file against multiple virus checkers.
- Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus and antispyware software (free for home use and small businesses).
- Avast Antivirus software (register it and its free for home use).
- AVG Antivirus software (free for home use).
- AxCrypt Easy to use file encryption - right click to encrypt any file. There is now a Mac version too.
- Skype Phone calls over the Internet.
- iDrive Online backup service - 5GB free.
- Gmail Email service from Google.
- Google Chrome Web Browser Small and fast and very good.
- ISP Speedtest Test the speed of your Internet connection.
- JoinMe Screen sharing and online meetings using just a web browser - the basic option is free
- DropBox DropBox allows you to sync your files between multiple computers. You can also use it to share files with others.
- if this then that IFTTT allows you to set rules to automate just about anything you can think of. Very cool.
- 2talk Run you phones and fax over the Internet.
Links to tax, accounting and business related sites.
- Inland Revenue They are here to help you...
- Important tax dates Inland Revenue list of importantant dates.
- Income tax calculator Work out your taxable income for any year from 1999 to 2009.
- Foreign investment fund calculator Work out your taxable FIF income using both FDR and CV methods.
- FIF exemptions Official IRD list of FIF exempt Australian shares.
- Inland Revenue Tax Policy Recent policy announcements.
- Companies Office Search for company details, register a company online.